- You need to enable telnet in redboot to install a new firmware
- You need to enable SSH access to enable telnet for redboot
To install a new firmware, when telnet in redboot is enabled, you could follow My Nuts guide (firmware 0.7.1 R5).
- “IP address” = 192.168.1.1 (or according to your router)
- “Network Mask” = 255.255.255.0
- “Gateway” = same a your “IP Address”
- “DNS” = 126.96.36.199 (according to DD-WRT guide)
Then procede as follow:
- Disconnect power supply to La Fonera
- Connect Ethernet cable from La Fonera to your Internet router
- Connect power supply to La Fonera
- Wait a few minutes that all 3 green leds will be on
- Reset La Fonera by pressing the small button on the bottom
- Let all 3 leds light up again
- Try to connect via SSH using Putty.
Set the following value into Putty:
- Host Name = 192.168.10.1
- Connection Type = SSH
- Port = 22
If all works fine, it will be prompted for credential:
- Username = root
- Password = admin
Continue according to DD-WRT guide (Step 3) to install an hacked version of the Kernel:
mtd -e vmlinux.bin.l7 write openwrt-ar531x-2.4-vmlinux-CAMICIA.lzma
Let La Fonera boot up correctly (all 3 leds ON) and reconnect to it via WiFi.
Open Putty with the same settings above and continue according to DD-WRT guide (Step 4) to hack the RedBoot bootloader:
mtd -e “RedBoot config” write out.hex “RedBoot config”
- Rootfs section = Use external file –> Select “root.fs”
- Kernel section = Use external file –> Select “vmlinux.bin.l7”
- Create Nvram Partition (for DD-WRT) = Enable!
- Interface section = Select your Ethernet Network Card driver
Now all is ready to flash DD-WRT firmware, here is the correct steps:
- Disconnect power supply on La Fonera
- Connect Ethernet cable on PC and La Fonera
- Click the “GO” button on AP51 and wait “No Packet” message
- Connect power supply on La Fonera
- Wait about 15 minutes until all firmware will be uploaded to La Fonera
- When finished AP51 will exit with no messages
- La Fonera will be automatically rebooted
Connect to http://192.168.1.1/ to check the new firmware because DD-WRT has a built-in DHCP.
- Fonera-firmware – The new firmware
Upgrade to latest firmware as describe in DD-WRT Flashing guide.