In the past, we saw the television as a player of cable and DVB-T contents but in the future will be "one of the list"!
Next evolution step added a small games like snake, tetris, etc. as TV became like a big computer monitor instead of the old CRT-like player.
The milestone was to “plug the net” into the player, which allowed to access Social Network, home streaming movies via DLNA, online streaming services.
They added also some extra feature to add custom Java apps in TV firmware.
- Integrated webcam for Video call using Skype
- Gesture and Voice control like Microsoft Kinect
- Netflix & Co. integration for movies streaming
Consider also Toshiba announced a new 3D TV without glasses
What they need
3D Smart TVs will be “the standard” for future but they will need:
- Good contents from web (Netflix & Co.)
- Standard developer platform to add cutom apps
- Sony will integrate “Kinect-like” into TV to use the lock in with Playstation
- Samsung will use its market share leadership to push out Microsoft Kinect as controller
- Microsoft will do a join venture to integrate XBox dashboard & Kinect technology into TV (hopefully with Samsung!)
- TV firmware should support HTML 5 applications as common platform (no more Java or Flash)
- No more 1meter monitor but a small 10 cm box with DLP technology and holografic images